The Manager, Japan Commercial Data Engineering plays a critical role in designing and implementing scalable, extensible and highly-available data pipelines on large volume data sets that will enable impactful insights & strategy for our products to support achievement of brand objectives for priority/strategic products. This position will deliver and execute Data plans that are aligned with global counterparts and address Regional specific strategic objectives, tactical requirements, and decision-making needs.
- Translate business requirements to underlying infrastructure applications, systems, and processes to enable execution of those skills
- Manage technology projects focusing on Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence in the following technology stack: AWS (e.g., S3, RedShift, etc.), Qlik, etc.
- Design data systems and pipelines for processing and storing data including both structured and unstructured data
- Process mapping, process improvement and translation into technical requirements
- Provide oversight to existing operational solutions processes and activities. Aid in developing governance models to ensure data integrity
- Define/scope projects effectively and propose a structured and practical approach to solving complex and ill-defined problems
- Explore and understand sophisticated data sets, identify, formulate correlational rules between heterogenous sources and build scalable ETL and ETL workflows for effective analytics and reporting
- Identify Data Validation rules and alerts based on data publishing specifications for data integrity and anomaly detection
- Provide impactful and credible communication to senior stakeholders internally and externally with the ability to tailor language and knowledge to meet the needs of the business
- Manage projects to include efficient resource mobilization, vendor selection, definition of scope and requirements, and achievement of timelines, budgets & deliverables
Directly reporting to Associate Director, Japan Commercial Analytics, based in Tokyo, Japan. Working closely with JP-C business partners (e.g. Commercial Excellence, Marketing, Digital Communication), other CI teams (e.g. JP-C Insights & Strategy, Data Strategy), and Digital, Analytics Technology (DAT).
Specific Physical or Environmental Requirements
Business trip to US/UK office
- Bachelor’s in Business, IT, or related technical field
- 6+ years of relevant experience in data engineering or related field, preferably in the pharmaceutical, biotech, or high-tech industries
- Relevant professional experience with Big Data systems, pipelines and data processing. Ability to develop scripts and programs for converting various types of data into usable formats for reporting and analytics, and support project team to scale, monitor and operate data platforms
- Strong understanding of Data Warehousing/Informatics/Business Intelligence concepts and methodologies from both operations and project execution views
- Expertise in SQL and Dependency driven job schedulers
- Strong communication and influencing skills to be able to communicate (verbal and written) technical and non-technical information clearly to a diverse audience and gain impact with senior-level decision makers
- Excellent organizational, planning, project, vendor and resource management skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to effectively manage cross-functional projects
- Solid (business, data, and technical) vendor and resource management skills
- Keen analytical mind with superior problem solving and technical skills, reflecting in-depth knowledge of various secondary databases and their limitations
- Politically astute with sound judgement and able to challenge respectfully and constructively
- Collaborative and co-creational role-model, working horizontally, vertically, and transversally across a regional organization, including cross-functionally
- Strong learning agility able to rapidly study, analyse, understand and be effective in new situations and manage new business problems
- Fluent in written and spoken business Japanese and basic reading and writing in English
- Experience with Data Management Platforms (DMP) for large scale prospects data
- Certifications in appropriate area(s) such as Cloud Computing Solutions (e.g., AWS suite), BI (e.g., Qlik), Google Analytics, etc.
- Expertise in Python
- Master’s Degree in Computer or Information/Data Sciences
- Experience with healthcare
- Both Japanese and English Resumes are needed
About the Company
Astellas Pharma is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world.
We are promoting the Focus Area Approach that is designed to identify opportunities for the continuous creation of new drugs to address diseases with high unmet medical needs by focusing on Biology and Modality.
Furthermore, we are also looking beyond our foundational Rx focus to create Rx+® healthcare solutions that combine our expertise and knowledge with cutting-edge technology in different fields of external partners.
Through these efforts, Astellas stands on the forefront of healthcare change to turn innovative science into VALUE for patients.
Will be decided according to the candidate's flexibility
Not limited to specified period
No probation period in principle
- Base salary: will be decided by the candidate's experience, skill and capability.
- When Discretionary Work System is applied: Discretionary work allowance will be paid.(50,000～100,000yen, based on the Grade)
- When Flextime System is applied: Overtime allowance will be paid for time worked in excess of prescribed working hours.
Discretionary work allowance, Housing allowance, Commutation allowance, etc.
Discretionary Work System
Weekends(Sat and Sun), holidays, May 1st, summer vacation, New Year holidays
Annual paid leave, childcare leave system, nursing care leave system, etc.
Employment Insurance, Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance, Welfare Pension Insurance, Health Insurance, Mutual Aid Association System, Company Housing System, Employee Shareholder Association System, Property Accumulation Savings System
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."