We are seeking a Project Manager to provide hands-on management for development and execution of all aspects of the development process and associated disciplines necessary to progress and successfully deliver a portfolio of hyperscale data centre projects.
Reporting to Japan’s Senior Programme Manager, part of the Major Builds Delivery Team in Colt DCS, you will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary professional team to formulate and deliver projects from due diligence, feasibility studies, conceptual planning, design, procurement, construction, and commissioning through to completion in line with the agreed scope, timescales and budget achieving realization of KPI’s defined in the investment thesis, operational excellence and 100% customer satisfaction on completion.
You will demonstrate a solid understanding of data centre planning and interdependent disciplines, such as civils, structures and architecture and project delivery processes.
Your management and communication skills combined with technical expertise and experience in the mission-critical data centre industry will enable you to provide leadership and technical guidance and allow you to gain the confidence of Colt DCS’ colleagues, business partners and customers.
- Be responsible for day to day management of the project organising and convening all project-related meetings and workshops, presentations and progress review meetings; recording all actions, decisions etc, and ensuring timely resolution of issues and deficiencies ensuring project and business risks are managed and have mitigation plans to ensure these are minimised, and develop and implement contingency plans to recover project costs and schedule slippage when appropriate
- Establish the overall program capturing critical milestones for due diligence, consultant selection, design deadlines, regulatory permit applications, procurement, contractual engagements, inspections, hand-over, punch-list remediation, and cash-flow forecast of progress and final payments
- Coordinate with the design manager and consultants, define and maintain standards for design quality, planning and design documentation, reviews and informed decisions, value engineering, liaison with local authorities, cost control and project information systems to ensure successful project delivery
- Collaborate and provide advice and assistance to other Engineering, Construction (PM/CM/Commercial) Legal, finance, sales and Operations teams on all matters relating to project delivery and ensure that all internal approval documentation is completed in a detailed and timely fashion
- Take the lead in interface with any external Project Management firm and of the General Contractor liaising with the project and virtual teams across all disciplines and functions to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the project ensuring that the General Contractor delivers in accordance with the agreed programme and scope and at all times maintains safe construction and operation procedures on site. Confirm that all project documentation internal governance approvals are completed in a detailed and timely fashion and projects are fully documented and closed out.
- Produce, manage and update the Risk and Issues Register with input from all members of the project team throughout the entire project lifecycle, prepare regular reports to monitor the progress for compliance with ours and/or customer requirements, collecting project KPIs, identifying challenges and assigning ownership, proposing and driving solutions ensuring delivery on time and on budget
- Apply a commercial approach in all aspects of the work including design, engineering and construction, working with other engineering functions, Procurement and Delivery to ensure that the procurement of all items is conducted on the most cost-effective basis to drive reduction in costs, considering not just initial acquisition costs but total cost of ownership
We are at a critical turning point as we become an independently focused business and at the same time, supported with the strong backing and investment of Fidelity. We are expanding our footprint in Asia and Europe which enables us to invest and leverage our real estate and infrastructure to expand our current sites and open up new ones.
You’ll be part of a dynamic, agile, forward thinking team of individuals that are looking to significantly grow the business.
This is an exciting time and a new beginning for Colt DCS.
- Bachelor's degree in any engineering or building construction related discipline / Eligibility for professional accreditation plus 10 - 15 years of professional experience in complex services or a mission-critical environment, working in the data centre and engineering industry involving working in live environments, with a proven track record in managing a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team
- Strong team management, time management and organizational skills, with a proactive focus on problem solving
- Familiarity with consultants appointments, cost control and formal change management processes, construction contracts and a working knowledge of the construction processes in Japan, combined with good knowledge of international best practice for health safety and sustainability
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbally and written) in both Japanese and English, with the ability to utilise project management software tools such as BIM360, Revit/BIM and Bluebeam effectively
- You will share in a culture of teamwork and passion for creative thinking and continuous improvement to work with all other functions in a proactive and energetic way to promote the engineering & delivery agenda
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative and the ability to work accurately under pressure, operating in an open management style and structure with an emphasis on team working and within a global matrix. The role requires a proactive engagement with other Colt’s functions, embracing fully the “One Team” vision, demonstrating excellent stakeholder / customer management skills with a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Ability to travel at short notice to visit project sites or existing facilities across Japan and internationally where required
About the Company
Colt Data Centre Services has over 20 years’ experience in designing, building and operating energy-efficient, reliable data centres - hosting significant financial, media, corporate and cloud wholesale providers across the world.
Our customers are at the heart of everything we do, we endeavour to take a customer led approach across our operations striving to serve our customers with a seamless experience no matter what facility or region they are in.
Finding the right solutions for our customer starts with finding the right people for Colt DCS. We believe in creating a healthy, learning environment for our employees to flourish.
What We Offer
We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location.
In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt DCS recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
- Pension and insurance options
- Annual paid vacation - 21 days per year
- Paid sickness and injury leave - 7 days per year
- 2 days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities
- Benefit Station - Services provided miscellaneous discounts on wellness / leisure etc.
- Hybrid working and relaxed dress code
- Commutation allowance - Max. 50,000 yen per month
- Retirement allowance