We are seeking an Interaction Designer to join our Tokyo Studio. As an Interaction Designer, you will work with designers of different backgrounds to turn bold new ideas into tangible products and services that improve people’s lives.
Note: this is not a remote role. While at present we're predominantly working remotely, we will be adopting a hybrid working model from 2022 and a physical presence in our Tokyo Studio will be required at times.
Interaction Designers create impact by building immersive, compelling experiences with digital at their core. As an Interaction Designer at IDEO, you will design, prototype, and execute delightful human experiences which act as the interface between an organization’s customers and their products, services, and brand.
- Work on projects that identify and solve problems across a variety of industries with organizations large and small, established and new.
- Work on a wide range of digital platforms such as mobile, web, TV, and physical/connected devices
- Design transformative interactive experiences through front-end user interfaces, narrative storytelling, systems thinking, prototyping, and even creating production-ready assets
- Work across all parts of the design process: user research, concept development, prototyping, strategy design, UX + UI, collaborating with development teams, and design stewardship across platforms.
- 3–5 years of interaction design experience in a design studio or creative consultancy.
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, New Media, HCI, or another relevant degree.
- Strong portfolio and an elevated sense of design: you know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics, clients, and timelines to deliver excellent design.
- Extensive experience with a variety of visual and interactive prototyping tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Origami, Protopie, Framer, etc). The ability to work with video is a plus.
- Familiarity with augmented and virtual reality prototyping tools and workflows (e.g. 3D design, Unity, Unreal Engine, ARKit, SparkAR, etc) is a strong plus.
- Prototyping: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process, and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have hands-on experience in creating low and high-fidelity prototypes, at speed.
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and use your work to communicate that complexity in simple ways.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables.
- Communication: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills, as well as an articulate point of view about design. You understand the value of design within a business context.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Human-centered: You can articulate a human-centered approach to design and are comfortable going out into the world for inspiration. You understand basic human-centered design philosophy, embrace ambiguity, and want to continually evolve design methodologies.
- Strong English is written and verbal skills. Any knowledge of the Japanese language and/or willingness to learn is a plus.
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help enable change in Japan through design and creativity.
Our purpose is to partner with organizations to help them build resilient and inclusive futures they can own--we do this through a deep focus on empathy, optimism, and a rigorous approach to making strategy tangible by using creativity as a complement to analytical reasoning.
English: fluent Japanese: basic