Merpay is looking for an Android engineer who wants to transform society in pursuit of Merpay’s mission, “Building trust for a seamless society.”
Although you will be working on development for our fintech business, your responsibilities will extend beyond this sector. You will use technology to pioneer new business fields needed to upgrade the infrastructure supporting society today.
The Merpay service is still in a growth phase, but at the same time, we are proactively developing new features. As such, we're looking for an individual who is not only able to give their thoughts and opinions on the specifications from a technical perspective, but also able to select a design methodology which takes into account scalability of the specifications. You will work as part of a team to improve specs and UX from the user’s perspective and make our product even better.
- Design/development of new Merpay features and improvement of existing features
- Payment module design/development and development tasks required for Mercari integration
- Backend-linked (new microservices development) API design/development
- Team-based development involving project managers, designers, and QA engineers
- Improvement of the CI environment and automated testing environment
Our development environment is as below:
- Coding language: Kotlin
- Development environment: Android Studio
- Build tool: Gradle
- CI/CD: CircleCI
- Other: GitHub, Slack, Figma, JIRA, Confluence, TestRail, Firebase Test Lab
Currently at Merpay, each of our projects has several Android engineers assigned, with around 10 total engineers on development. All projects are programmed in Kotlin, but we are also working on project designs which fully utilize Gradle’s multi-module, designing and developing one of the largest-scale apps in Japan. We promote a culture of proactive discussion and feedback within the Android Team and also with Android engineers throughout Mercari Group. In doing so, we are able to consistently update our design and quality, as well as the development environment, on a daily basis. This role will allow you to experience both feature development with a high degree of individual freedom as well as collaborative operations with many other engineers in conducting projects and large-scale improvements.
Additionally, we also encourage and look very favorably on contributions to tech communities.
- Contributing to open-source libraries
- Presenting at tech conferences both in Japan and abroad (Google I/O, KotlinConf, DroidKaigi, etc.)
- Writing articles for the Mercari Engineering Blog
- Shared belief in the mission and values of Mercari Group and its various companies
- Experience developing native Android apps in Kotlin or Java
- Experience collaborating with others on a team to develop mobile applications
- Experience working at a financial institution or fintech company
- Experience developing and operating native apps with large user bases
- Experience using or implementing technology, features, or architecture that follow Android trends
- Knowledge of or experience in automation using CircleCI or testing tools
- Knowledge and understanding of security programming
- Experience releasing and contributing to OSS (issues, PRs, or maintenance)
- Experience with externally-facing technical output (writing, tech blogs, lectures, etc.)
- Ability to communicate in English
- Has a strong, shared belief in Mercari and Merpay’s missions and values
- Possesses a strong sense of responsibility and always puts forth their best work
- Has ability to think critically and act autonomously towards a goal
- Possesses communicational awareness and skills that can push organizations and projects forward
About the Company
Mercari is a Japan-based company with the mission of “creating value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell.” Having continuously worked toward this goal since our founding in 2013, we are now transforming from a startup into a global player. While this transformation brings its own specific set of challenges, we believe that solving them one after another will allow us to fully achieve our mission. Are you interested in working together to take on these exciting challenges?
- Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
- Smoking is prohibited within our offices
- Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
- Full flextime (no “core time” or “flex time”)
*Does not apply to all positions
- Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year's break, etc.)
- Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
- Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
- Based on skills, experience, and abilities
- Reviewed twice a year
- Complete health and social insurance
- Incentive program
- Support systems, including those that benefit the employee’s family members
*See this page for details.
- Relocation support
- Language learning support
- Translation/interpretation support