We are looking for a software engineer for one of the teams in the Platform Group who has a strong background (or interest) in platform or infrastructure system development. Someone who is passionate about increasing developer productivity and has a pragmatic ability to release and migrate features to large-scale systems gradually.
The Platform Group is responsible for helping engineers at Mercari and its subsidiaries to build and deliver better products to our customers. We provide infrastructure and DevOps toolchains to increase the reliability of the service and make the work of engineers easier.
Currently, the Platform Group consists of four teams:
- Platform DX: Working on improving the developers experience by providing better abstraction and automated workflows
- CI/CD: Providing testing infrastructure, toolings, and the delivery system to make service delivery faster and more reliable
- Network: Responsible for end-to-end network infrastructure from the edge (CDN) to the cloud & service mesh (Istio) and physical data centers
- Platform Infra: Working on the base infrastructure operations as the cloud (GCP & AWS) and Kubernetes admin, as well as building the observability platform
- Design, develop, and maintain platform features and toolings which support the entire software development cycle from build to test through to deploy and operate
- Support migration and adoptions of new platform features and toolings
- Improve platform security and reliability with the SRE and Security teams
- Improve and automate daily platform operations and reduce toils
- Communicate with internal developers to understand their needs
You May Be a Fit If You
- Are passionate about improving developer productivity and experience
- Are passionate about infrastructure automation and building toolings
- Are neutral on the technology itself and can take pragmatic approaches to the issues
- Enjoy advocating for the new tooling and systems, and supporting to use it
- Avoid reinventing the wheel and utilize the existing tooling and ecosystem as much as possible
Since the platform and its toolings are used by not only Mercari JP but also Merpay and Mercari US, the changes and improvements can affect the whole organization’s performance from development agility to system reliability. As a software engineer of the team, your implementation can have a truly significant impact.
The team needs to understand what the developers are struggling with and what is required for the Mercari Group’s product development. With this empathy and collection of requirements, the team prioritizes the problems to solve and decides the solution for them. You can join this decision-making process and propose a pragmatic solution leveraging your knowledge and experience.
- Shared understanding and belief in our company’s mission and values
- Experience in infrastructure management and automation
- Experience in infrastructure and system architecture design
- Experience in writing design docs or proposals and reaching agreements with stakeholders
- Experience in using container management platforms (ex: Kubernetes) in production
- Experience in operating and being the admin of cloud (GCP or AWS) in production
- Good understanding of common software development lifecycle (SDLC)
Platform DX team-specific requirements
- 2 years of experience using Go
- Experience in writing CLI tools and packages in Go
Network team-specific requirements
- Experience working with network proxies such as Envoy/HAProxy/Nginx
- Strong understanding of networking, especially OSI Layer 4 to 7: load balancers, proxies, API gateways, DNS, TLS, and HTTP protocol
- Good understanding of Linux networking
- Working knowledge of cloud and Kubernetes networking
- Experience in a distributed system or microservices architecture
- Experience developing and supporting tools for internal customers
- Experience making technical decisions as a tech lead
- Experience of working as an SRE
- Experience writing Go (and scripting with bash)
Platform DX team-specific preferred experience
- Experience in frontend development with React
- Experience in interface and UI/UX design
Network team-specific preferred experience
- Experience in using service meshes in production such as Istio or Linkerd
- Experience in using network reliability practices such as circuit breaking, rate limiting
- Experience in designing cloud-based network architectures
- English: Proficient (CEFR - C1)
- Japanese: Basic (CEFR - A2) optional
About the Company
Circulate all forms of value to unleash the potential in all people
"What can I do to help society thrive with the finite resources we have?" The Mercari marketplace app was born in 2013 out of this thought by our founder Shintaro Yamada as he traveled the world. We believe that by circulating all forms of value, not just physical things and money, we can create opportunities for anyone to realize their dreams and contribute to society and the people around them. Mercari aims to use technology to connect people all over the world and create a world where anyone can unleash their potential.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
Here at Mercari, we work to realize a world in which no one’s potential is limited by their background and everyone has the opportunity to freely create value. We also firmly believe that a mindset of Diversity & Inclusion is essential for us to achieve our mission.
This, of course, extends to our hiring practices as well. Mercari is committed to eliminating discrimination based on age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, physical disability, and other such factors so that anyone who shares our mission and values can join us, regardless of their background. For more details, please read our D&I Statement.
- Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
- Smoking is prohibited within our offices
- Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
- Full flextime (no “core time” or “flex time”)
*Does not apply to all positions
- Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year's break, etc.)
- Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
- Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
- Based on skills, experience, and abilities
- Reviewed twice a year
- Complete health and social insurance
- Incentive program
- Support systems, including those that benefit the employee’s family members
*See this page for details.
- Relocation support
- Language learning support
- Translation/interpretation support