At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automated data entry and document generation.
Joining the Shippio adventure means
- Being part of a passionate and human-sized team (35+ people).
- Experiencing a period of strong growth as a startup, with exciting challenges ahead.
- Imagining the logistics innovations of tomorrow.
- Working with a world-class engineer team.
- Create and mentor your ideal Back-End team
- As we're starting the migration from our legacy system (Ruby) to a service-oriented one, you'll have the chance to reevaluate business opportunities to add to the new platform
- In the longer term, contribute to architectural and design decisions, when we introduce Machine Learning in our services
- Build clean, performant APIs to power digital logistics
- Own meaningful parts of our service, have an impact, grow with the company. It's not just about writing code, but understanding the real problem to solve
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You have 5+ years of experience in leading Back-End application development
- Synthetic mind, you are able to quickly grasp the essence of our business and translate it into a model
- Navigator, you negotiate challenges to find optimal solutions
- Strong communication skills to a variety of audiences, from technical to non-technical
- Located in Japan
- You have a valid work authorization (or a degree in a related field for those requiring visa sponsorship)
- Business level English
What is good for you to have?
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Experience in cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on B2B development by leveraging your own development experience
- Experience working within a fast-paced product company
Portrait of our Back-End Engineers
- You don’t fall for the hype
- You see technology as a way to solve problems and be creative
- You don’t mind peer reviews, you love them
- You have the culture of delivery
- You value craftsmanship
- You are comfortable working in both a team and also independently to ensure goals are achieved
- Quality of code is your priority and you follow best practices
- You have an ability to foresee where your code may need to be altered to keep in line with the company strategy
Portrait of our crew members
A person who embodies our core values
- [Be courageous and decisive] People who aren't afraid to take on challenges and don't let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- [Strive for greatness] People who can accept constructive criticism and are willing to continually improve themselves.
- [Believe in your fellow crew mates] People who enjoy developing as a team. Someone who can help team members grow and learn from them.
About the Company
We are a technology company working towards digitalizing international trading, and the first digital forwarding company in Japan (aiming to become No. 1 in Asia). We are building a multi-faceted digital platform that allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which today is mostly processed through human labour. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
How we work
- We have full flex time for the Product division, however we have “meeting friendly hours” when we expect employees to be available.
- We allow up to 4 day of remote work per week.
Vacation & PTO
- Yearly standard paid time off
- Sick leave (if applicable)
- Congratulation or condolence leave (marriage or immediate family death)
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Childcare leave
- Caregiving leave
Probation period: 3 months
- Moving assistance when joining the company
- Short distance housing subsidy
- Language learning aids, etc