Join Visual Alpha to use the latest technologies to disrupt the investment management industry!
We are currently hiring for a senior software engineer role to design and implement features on the cloud platform for our clients.
- Work for a fast growing B2B fintech startup to innovate investment management
- Join a diverse international team of data science and investment experts
- Become one of the earliest members of a promising startup
NodeJS, React, PHP (Laravel), Python, SQL, GraphQL, Restful API, AWS, CircleCI, Git, xUnit
- Independently develop fund performance calculation systems for institutional asset managers
- Create and maintain complex business logic modules and data models
- Design scalable framework for onboarding new types of client mandates, securities, funds, and trade instructions
- Work with the support team closely to onboard client mandates and support client daily operations
- Create unit tests and integration tests to ensure quality
- Potentially manage a small team (2~3 people) including interns
- Typical time allocation: design 20%, implementation 80%
A Day in the Life
Generally you’ll be working in “sprints”: Everyone on the dev team delivers features to our client in a 1~2 weeks sprint. We encourage developers to deliver features to our clients independently by implementing a well designed full stack solution reviewed by the team.
So your day might break down like this:
Morning: Come in around 9am, check messages, emails, arrange short, medium and long-term to-do lists. Note that under the current covid situation, we only come to the office once or twice a week. Carry out coding, problem-solving and development. At various points you will ask for advice (or give advice). After you find a solution, you’d usually create a “change request” or “pull request” summarizing changes proposed. This would probably bring you to lunch.
Afternoon: The afternoon is often when meetings are held and longer-term projects are discussed. After design discussions, you’re given a list of requirements, and then you would have to document the system design and get it reviewed.
End of Day: Wrap up work and get critical questions clarified before the end of day. Most people will leave around 5:30pm, and sometimes we have a bit after work drinks toward the weekend. We are flexible with working hours, but rather emphasizing on efficiency and quality.
- A love of learning and proven experience in becoming a domain expert; in our case, you will become an expert in investment data analysis and investment reporting visualization
- Very strong problem solving skills that can handle complex issues independently
- Pragmatic experience with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, eXtreme Programming, etc) and iterative process improvements
- Self-motivated, client-oriented thinking, ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong design, presentation, and collaboration skills; must be a strong team player
- Good knowledge of NodeJS or desire to learn coupled with strong experience in one of C++, Python, PHP, or Rust
- Native (or very fluent) in English
- Knowledge of investment management (significant advantage)
- Strong at mathematical calculation programming (significant advantage)
- Strong background in merging datasets from various offline and online sources (ex: ETL systems, data lakes, etc)
- Experience implementing various design patterns
- Familiarity with xUnit design concepts and patterns
- Experience creating web-services and/or ETL workflows
About the Company
Visual Alpha is a B2B fintech startup based in central Tokyo that provides an innovative SaaS data service to institutional investors and asset managers. We develop our full stack web applications using the latest technologies backed by AWS.